Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Thankful.



Okay, I know Thanksgiving was a few weeks back, but if the last few weeks have taught me anything, it's to be thankful for the little - and not so little - things. A tribute, then, to just a few things I am thankful for at this crazy time of year.

Skype. I know I've already waxed poetic about the benefits of Skype. But this week it gave me the opportunity to have a 'conversation' with the home security company that has been charging us for services even though we canceled our service back in October. Twice. Via fax and email.

Jacobs, the king of (Norwegian) grocery stores. From quinoa to baking soda, they stock what few, if any other, shops in town do. If they don't have it, then it's likely you aren't going to find it in Norway. I seriously almost cried when I spotted and snatched the box of Arm and Hammer baking soda off the shelf, not the questionable, Norwegian-brand natron off the shelf. No sir. Imported all the way from America. You may think I should just go with the flow, but not after my Weegie baking powder experience. Nei. God bless trade agreements. I missed my yellow box. Which brings me to my next item...

The lack of a trade embargo against Cuba. Just bought a bottle of Havana Club Anejo Especial rum. Cuban rum. We might go wild with the hot toddies just for the sake of enjoying something from Cuba. But probably not. Wait 'til cigar season. G + Cuban cigarillos = a whole different experience.

Hunter wellies. I have worn my new glossy, navy blue boots almost every day since I got here. They are even cozier with the fleece liners. Given the fact there's been some amount of snow on the ground for almost a month, it don't know what I would do without their traction. I saw these the other day, though...I am thinking of upgrading to some serious insulation. Did I mention it was -21 C here today?

My iPhone 4. Oh, did I mention? I'm sorry...I must have forgotten. NOT. Yes, I finally got an iPhone. Sure, it took moving to a foreign country to justify it, but lordy lordy. Its OS is smooth like buttah. Its free apps speak to my soul. fotopedia: seriously? My favorite. App. Ever. I wish I could photograph like that. And Trip Advisor in the palm of my hand. Sigh. Heaven. I feel technologically complete for the first time.

Care packages. Just got a doozy of a care package from the sister and the mom: homemade biscotti, English toffee, York peppermint patties, and mac and cheese. Not to mention gold Christmas garland. Did I already say God bless America yet? No? Well, there you go. God bless America. I love mac and cheese. And the U.S. Postal Service.

Weegie-isms spoken by G. You know you are getting immersed into a culture (okay, as much as you can without speaking the language) when you start comparing things in everyday life to local things rather than things from the States. Case in point: tonight, G was looking out the window at the rather large snowflakes coming down and said, "they're almost the size of the mini pannekaker!" Which is funny, because pannekaker are tiny pancakes sold in Norway. In the grocery store. Not in the States. Not funny? Okay. I guess you had to be there. (Lis, that's funny, right?) [Note to reader regarding the photo link: No, we did not eat these at Burger King. This was just the best available photograph of mini pannekaker I could find.]

Randomly unexpected, touching emails from friends. Thanks T. You made my day.

Hot water included in the rent. Sometimes no amount of down parkas or comforters will keep me warm. Hot shower = happy Colleen.

IKEA. I am not sure if I have posted yet without mentioning IKEA. I try, really. But last weekend when we were there after half a day of attempting to put together the last of our newly purchased furniture, we found Jule Sprig (photo above!). A Nordic spruce just over two feet tall, we adopted Sprig as our Christmas tree for the season. He's now decked out with ornaments from a certain giant Swedish furniture conglomerate and lights from the local dollar store. Thank you, IKEA, for enabling us to have a Christmas after all.

Recipes from home. We may not be home for Christmas this year, but home came to us. Three of the recipes for our Christmas celebrations are tried and true recipes we've enjoyed over the years at our home holidays. Thank you family. You will be here in spirit.

Super G. What's NOT to be thankful for? He's the best husband a girl could ask for.

Yours in Jule,

Colleen

1 comment:

  1. Aaaahhh, as warm a feeling as Cuban rum toddies or my morning latte is the feeling I get when reading your blog. It's been a sometimes-bumpy last few months, and I am glad G and Jule Sprig will bring holiday cheer for Christmas this year. Miss you, but your words and thoughts help me know all is well in Weegieland.

    ReplyDelete