Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ad*just |əˈjəstˈ| . To adapt or become used to a new situation. ex : she must be allowed to adjust to living with only five hours of daylight.


Today marks one month that I’ve been living in Oslo. One month seems like a long time, and then not so much, especially when I think of how much I am still adjusting to living here. It’s strange, because it’s really not that different from living in the States. People still go to work, shop, drive, eat, socialize, etc. But when you dig just a little deeper, that’s when the necessary adjustments start to add up. Some are good, so very, very good. Others…well, I am guessing in the long run they will all work out. Right? Here, in no particular order are some of the adjustments I’ve made in the past 30 days:

1.     Sleeping in. Okay, I know, you’re sitting there rolling your eyes. Let me be clear: this is an adjustment that I am not necessarily pooh-poohing. But going from getting up at 4:30 or 5:30 a.m. on a regular basis to maybe having G’s alarm go off at 6:30 – and then promptly sleeping through that most of time – is a bit strange. Have you met me? I mean, yeah. I am not a laze around and pick lint off my sweater kind of person. I am a doer. So, sleeping in until the ungodly hour of 8:00 or (gasp!) 9:00 is totally bizarre. I think it might have to do with the next adjustment…

2.     Six hours of daylight. That’s right, friends. These days the sun supposedly rises around 9:00 a.m. and sets at 3:20 p.m. You know how the sun rises where you are, and it’s actually light out when it comes up? Not really the case here. The sun is so low on the horizon it doesn’t get light until at least an hour after that. Case in point:
      this photo? I took this at 2:20 this afternoon. Looks like sunset to me. That is hard to get used to, even for someone from the 47th parallel. You can understand why it’s so easy to sleep in then, right? Right?

3.     The size of milk and juice cartons. Norway is like the antithesis of, say, Costco. There, you can buy the gallon or half-gallon container of milk or juice at the store, but here…you can buy a one-liter container. That’s it. One liter. I wish I had a U.S. milk carton to put next to the ones here, but seriously, you’ve got to trust me on this. It’s tiny. And I’ve never seen anyone buy two at a time. So, I can't bring myself to buy two. It seems so...gluttonous. I know Americans are kind of milk-crazy, but wow. Just an adjustment. Getting there.

4.     Plastic-wrapped vegetables. Here’s an example: 
      Granted, these aren’t that terrible; we’ve seen bags of carrots and bundles of green onions, etc. But I wish you could have seen the cucumber I bought today. Individually shrink-wrapped. Or the red pepper. Also individually shrink-wrapped. Apples? Shrink-wrapped in a box of six. Avocados? Shrink-wrapped in containers of two. I am not sure I understand the logic behind it. I mean, what if I only want one apple or avocado? It seems to conflict with the fact that they recycle like mad here and you have to pay extra if you want a plastic bag at the checkout. Jus’ sayin’.

5.     Public transit/not driving. Can you hear the choir of angels? Feel the glow of satisfaction through the computer screen? I gloat. I’m sorry. I’m from Seattle, where their idea of public transit is a bus system that takes three transfers and two hours to commute 14 miles one way. Oslo? Buses, an extensive tram system (think: SLU Streetcar, but effective and wide-spread), and an underground metro. One monthly card gets me on any of them, unlimited. Yes, that is all well and good, but you know the best thing? There are these displays at every single stop that tells you in real time when the next tram or bus or train is arriving. And not just the next one, but the next several. In real time. Did I mention it’s in real time? (Can you hear the choir of angels again?) Do I miss my car? Yes. Do I miss driving? Not so much. Especially not commuting. But maybe that’s because I haven’t found anywhere I want to go yet that I have to drive to. More to come on this, I am sure.

So many adjustments, so little time...What about you? Have you had any major changes in your life where you had some unexpected or unusual or just plain funny adjustments you had to make? Do tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment