Monday, December 13, 2010

Julemarked i Oslo

G and I had a busy weekend: we finally ordered this and this and this (with doors and a couple of pullout shelves) from IKEA on Saturday, and they are arriving today. I am so excited to actually have somewhere to put most everything that's still in boxes! We might also get this or this for the living room in the hopes of building our wine and spirits collection up again, and making more room for pantry items in the kitchen cabinets rather than wine glasses and barware. Time will tell. 


Other things we/I did this weekend included discovering the Norwegian Film Institute (more on that later) and going to the Christmas market (Julemarked) in Oslo. I made my way down to the market Friday afternoon for a second visit after G and I walked through it briefly earlier in the week. Rick Steves talks about the market in his European Christmas DVD and book (I have not seen or read either, but I am told they are well done). So, it was nice to experience something firsthand that I'd heard good things about.


The market is located in downtown Oslo, between city hall and the harbor (incidentally, city hall is where the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony was held later that evening). There are 80 or so vendors selling everything from candles to woolen mittens. There are also plenty of food booths selling gifts items (anyone want a whole dried cod for Christmas?), and fun things to nosh on while you peruse the market, like vafels, lefser, pølser, and elgburger. Julenisse is even there for the little kids to visit and tell him their Christmas wishes. Oh, and one of the coolest things? A ski simulator you could try out, promoting the Nordic World Ski Championships that are in Oslo in February/March 2011. Lighted trees and a decorated entry gate surround the market, making it a little Christmas oasis on the waterfront.  It was beautiful and peaceful at dusk with all the snow on the ground, Christmas music playing in the background, and little fires burning in grates for warmth. 


I bought a few Christmas ornaments to mark our first Christmas in Norway, then settled in and enjoyed a cup of gløgg, a hot mulled wine served with nuts and dried fruit floating in it. Mmmm. I can say after having a cup of gløgg I was not as productive for the rest of the day, but I was definitely happy and relaxed. (I will leave the aqvavit for G to enjoy.)


Some julemarked photos below. Oh, and remember how I said in an earlier post that were was a bizarre number of people with luggage around at any one time? Proof below. Luggage-laden guy wheeling his carry-on through the Julemarked. Over the snow. 


God jul fra Oslo!


Julemarked; that's City Hall in the background.


The front gate of Julemarked. I love Christmas lights.


Elgburger anyone?

Simulator, baby. Get your wax on.


Mmm...gløgg (hic!).

Luggage. Will someone please provide some insight on the propensity for luggage in downtown Oslo. In the dead of winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment