Monday, March 28, 2011

Where's the squash? And the Reece's..and the...

Thank you Darcey! (One of our care packages from home.)

Five months and dozens of trips to the grocery store later, I have come to the realization that some foods and food products are just not going to be found in Norway. I am trying to accept this, really. But in a country that probably imports 90% of its food and food product anyway, would it be so hard to throw a few butternut squashes on that container ship?

I know some of you out there are thinking tsk, tsk. Embrace your new culinary climate, already! And I am all for that. (Well, to a degree. I won't be trying the lutefisk any time soon.) I've made some cod and we've had our fair share of potatoes (they do grow potatoes here). But I like to make some of our favorite dishes from pre-Norway days as well. And it's hard to make Moroccan couscous without butternut squash, or pancake breakfast without Bisquick.

For you Norway-bound folks, I usually go to Meny and sometimes Centra, which seems to have a larger selection of ethnic foods. I've also been across town to Jacob's, a high-end specialty grocery. (For you Seattleites, I'd equate Jacob's to a small Larry's Market. Remember Larry's? Those were the days.) I have also visited many of the various 'Turkish markets' in Oslo (small ethnic shops that sell a lot of Asian, Turkish, and Greek groceries, less expensive and sometimes varied produce, as well as dried herbs, spices, couscous, and other items). 
 
One of the 'Turkish markets' I frequent near Youngstorget.

Despite all my scouring for grocery items, there are some things I just haven't been able to locate. So, in honor of all things found in my hometown grocery stores and farmers markets, I give you the List of Food Items Colleen Has Not Been Able to Find in Norway:
  • Reece's peanut butter cups
  • York peppermint patties
  • Peeps
  • Dark chocolate candy bars
  • Kraft macaroni and cheese
  • Butternut squash
  • Heck, any kind of squash (there was a rare sighting of a sugar pumpkin in early November, but that was it)
  • Chard
  • Fresh sage (I've only found fresh rosemary, mint, basil, sage, cilantro, and citron. Everything else, you're out of luck)
  • Large baking potatoes
  • Dried cherries
  • Dried currants
  • Dried kaffir lime leaves
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Millet
  • Wheat flour (Wait. What? Yes. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.)
  • Dried yeast (We have fresh yeast in little cubes. I question their freshness.)
  • Bulk foods
  • Brown rice (except Uncle Ben's in a bag you throw in boiling water)
  • Cornbread mix
  • Cornmeal
  • Sourdough anything 
  • Good pancake mix (they have a mix that really just makes thick crepes)
  • Mini bagels
  • Pam cooking spray
  • Crisco (for my mom's excellent pie crust recipe)
  • Real vanilla extract
  • Most any extract
  • Sesame oil
  • Rice wine vinegar
  • Black bean sauce
  • Light coconut milk
  • Sweetened shredded coconut
  • Fresh clams!
  • Canned clams
  • Heck, just clams
  • Fresh lump crab meat (except in cans. Yuck)
  • Black cod (totally different than Norwegian cod)
  • Light dairy products (except milk)
  • Good energy bars 
  • Graham crackers
  • Cheerios
  • Almond butter
  • Pancetta
  • Ground turkey
  • Turkey in general (okay, there's some turkey, but it's not as easy to come by)
  • Decent deli meat (read: I really don't want to eat square deli meat, but thanks for trying)
  • Cut-up, bone-in chicken (there are rows and rows of very processed chicken breasts by one company, but nary a package of bone-in thighs to be found)
  • Decaf coffee
  • Decaf green tea
  • Good herbal tea in tea bags
  • Canned chicken or vegetable broth (they have it in tiny glass jars for exorbitant amounts of money, or in a boxed concentrate I have yet to figure out)
  • Canned soup (powdered soup abounds, and after trying it a few times, I've pretty much sworn it off)
I've never missed Whole Foods and Central Market so much. A girl can dream, can't she?

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am an American living in Oslo. You can get some of the things on your list here. There's a store in Majorstuen that has many American products, as does Ultra at Bryn. And of course, the stores in Sweden have many of these things now. Corn meal is like what they call polenta. Many of these you just need to know the Norwegian name. If you comment back, I can give you my email address and we can discuss. If you are living in Oslo, it would be great to meet a fellow American!

    ReplyDelete