Monday, January 24, 2011

So You Want to Learn Norsk?

I know you're all just itching to learn Norwegian so you can say "uff da" with meaning and conviction (note to Ballardites and would-be Ballardites: I have yet to hear anyone utter "uff da" here). Assuming you don't want to take a Norwegian language class in Oslo, here are some references that G and I have used since moving to Norway (note: I have not been paid, or received any free lutefisk or lefse in order to provide these reviews; this is just from user experience).

The Norwegian-English Dictionary, by Einar Haugen is a handy tool. G bought this even before we left the States after reading stellar reviews on amazon.com. However, he has been less than enamored by it. It is certainly not pocket-sized, and does not have the helpful English-Norwegian dictionary in the back so you know how to say, for example, "watermelon" in norsk. I, on the other hand, use it almost daily in norskkurs (Norwegian class) and at home when studying and doing my homework. It is super helpful to have when the instructor teaches us the fifth word for "in," or when there's not quite an English translation for a word (like døgn, for example). Highly recommend if you are going to take Norwegian language classes.

The Langenscheidt Universal Dictionary - Norwegian is pocket-sized for starters so that's a big plus. It also has both English-Norwegian and Norwegian-English in it, and a decent pronunciation section. Bonus: there's a small phrase section and grammar section in the back, as well as info on how to read time and temperatures. I would recommend this book just because it's so cute (it's about 5 inches by 3 inches), but it's helpful too.

Sadly, Lonely Planet does not have a norsk phrase book (shocking, seriously). The next closest thing  found was Dover's "Say it in Norwegian." I am not sure I would recommend this book. First, it was published in 1957, so if you're looking for anything about "where is the internet cafe?" or "how about that women's football team?" you're not going to find it in this book. Besides the lack of recent cultural references, it's just not organized very well. I think you are better off with this, although I have not used it. Berliz teaches Norwegian classes here, and they are a reputable company. Honestly, though, if you're going to just visit here for a short period of time, everyone pretty much speaks English and you're probably okay with just the phrases in the back of your guidebook.

Strike two on using well-known sources: Rosetta Stone does not have a Norwegian language series (I mean, come on; they have Irish, Welsh, and even Swedish, but no Norwegian). The next best thing we've found is the Teach Yourself Norwegian. Teach Yourself is a reputable line of books for learning language; I would say it's the next best thing to Rosetta Stone. The Complete Set comes with two CDs and a book with exercises in it. I ripped this onto my computer and use it on my iPod. Or at least I did until I started taking Norwegian classes here. I still use it for pronunciation, though. It's helpful.

What? You don't want to spend hundreds (or even tens) of dollars on learning Norwegian? You're in luck. Check out One Minute Norwegian on iTunes. It's a free series of ten lessons of simple phrases to know when you come visit Norway. I think G and I have already learned everything in this series in the first two weeks of class, but you could completely get by on that level of understanding for a short visit to Norway. It also has a neat video of Dag and his friends on Constitution day waving their flags, talking about how cool Norwegian is to learn. This whole series is also on my iPod. It's a good reality check when I feel like I haven't learned anything in norskkurs, and then listen to lesson 10 and realize I know everything. Go me. Check it out.

Did I mention I pretty much love Lonely Planet? I will forgive them for not having a Norwegian phrase book. For now, they have a solid Norway guidebook, with tons of information on visiting the entirety of Norway, not just certain areas. I really enjoy this book and use it for a reference for things like skiing and hiking, not just general sightseeing. It is also well-organized and has good maps; it provides websites for companies and organizations for further information, on things like camping, rock climbing, mountaineering, fjord trips, etc. If you are going to visit Norway and are going to be anywhere for any extended period of time, I highly recommend this guide.

My dirty little secret is that I like the Rick Steves series of books. Okay, Rick Steves is hardly a secret. But, some people poo-pooh them for being too simple or only focused on the big picture, but that's also something I enjoy about his books. I bought his Norway book before we came here, which is a section of his larger Scandinavian book. Instead of reading a 3000-year history of the Norwegian people in detail (ahem, Rough Guide), I can follow a four-page walk that leads me through downtown Oslo and see some key sites and get some a flavor of Oslo's history (note: we actually did read about the history of Norway. Research, I guess. Just sayin). I also like Rick Steves' "rating" system. Don't miss it, worth seeing, nice but not necessary - or something like that. That way I know when friends come to visit they should really see Frognerparken, but maybe not so much the Kon Tiki Museum. 

Bored yet? Don't really have any desire to learn norsk and aren't going to visit Norway anytime soon? Then you should at least take a peek at Brown Cheese Please. Tongue-in-Cheek picture book illustrated and written by an Australian living in Norway, this book is filled with her observations of Norwegian life. Cheese slicers, queues, midsummer night's eve, work-life balance, love-hate relationship with H&M, etc. She covers it. I love it. The longer I'm here, the more I get it. Worth the read, I promise.

Glad leser! -Colleen



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for my summer reading primer! I'll try to have some phrases down pat by the time I arrive in September. Does Gunter speak German? A little of that will porobably be helpful, too. Thank you for your posts - they are well-read among my/our friends.

    ReplyDelete